Saturday, May 31, 2008

Ah, London.

I just got back from a weekend trip around the English country side, again. It was nice and pretty, but I was glad to get back to the city. Now I cant remember why. I'm sitting in my flat next to an open window downloading my pictures onto a computer for my blog. I can hear from across the street that one of our neighbours is having a nice cocktail party from the sounds of their guests chatter from their balcony. There is one woman in particular, I can tell she's American, now out of college, freshly in the professional job market seeking a job where she can use her ingenuity as a young bourgeois, wanna-be Londoner. She has various speculations on attending law school and men, and I can tell she's full of shit and trying to impress the guy with the tie standing in front of her. This is more information than I care to know about any of my neighbours guests, especially bitchy American ones. So I glare at her outside my window and catch her eye to which she says to two other party guests whose ears must be bleeding now from her boring conversation, "Look at that weirdo staring at us." Then to this loud-mouthed American I say "I don't care to know about your schooling and career, can you keep it down?" "What?" she replies. I lean my head a little further out the window to ensure that she hears me as well as I can hear her, "I don't care about your life. Keep it down!" At this her snobby senses have been hurt and she whips her body around to recount this interaction to the other guests. I much prefer the shy girl with the black skirt who isn’t talking.

Aw, London. With is jam-packed buildings and neighbourhoods. There are seven million people inhabiting this relatively small area, and there's just no room for complete comfort and privacy. All this city exposure has left me sassy, and often cheeky, depending on how pissed off the people make me. All I can do is laugh and be glad that the big bad city doesn't scare me, or I would have reason to pee my pants at least three times a day. Oh look, someone’s car alarm is going off. Just another London evening in posh Kensington.

1 comment:

Clay said...

Hey, Let's leave that Cheeky stuff in London. Don't be bringing that back to this office. A little Sas is ok.

Just kidding Ashley, bring whatever you want back, just get back!